Have you ever visited a website and what you see is an error message? You just cannot view the contents. This can also happen to your own personal or even a company website, whereby people can not visit your site even though it is online.
This just means your website has gone down. You definitely then have to check if the website is just down for you or everyone else.
In this short tutorial, we are going to learn methods on how to know and monitor your website downtime.
But first, Let us see some of what would cause a “website down” problem.
WHY DOES A WEBSITE GO DOWN?
A website can be down as a result of many reasons. Some are listed below. A website can go down due to:
- Coding or programming errors on the website
- Plugin or extension errors
- Server crashing
- Hosting and domain errors or maybe DS is expired
- Server or website maintenance
- Server overload
Anyways, website can go down at any time due to the reasons listed above or others. Generally speaking, you should contact your web hosting provider when you encounter such problems.
You,however, have to monitor your website uptime as a website owner. There are many tools that can help you to check and know if your website is down or available worldwide.
How to Check if Your Website is Down:
As I said there are many tools and online services to check if your website is down or accessible worldwide. Here are some of them:
1. Down for Everyone or Just Me
Down for Everyone or Just Me is a simple online tool used to check if your website is down or up. All you need to do is:
- Visit Down for Everyone or Just Me
- Then enter your website’s- or any website’s- domain name to the empty input box between the words “is” and “down”
- Press enter key on you keyboard
You then get this result if your site is up:
DotCom-Monitor is another website monitoring and performance testing online service. It makes it easy to do a bunch of things including ensuring performance, functionality, and uptime of websites, web applications, servers, and APIs. You get 30 days free trial.
3. IS IT DOWN RIGHT NOW?
- Go to is it down right now? Homepage
- Type in the URL of the website you want to check into the search bar at the top.
- Click on check or press enter
You will receive the check status of the website and you get to know if the website is down for everyone or just you.
4. WEBSITE PLANET
This is another straight forward online service or tool to check and monitor a website’s uptime. And just like the others you start by:
- Visiting Website Planet
- Type in the website’s URL in the input box on the site
- Click check or simply click enter on you keyboard
- And you get a response from website planet on whether the website is experiencing downtime or not
5. SITE 24X7
Site 24X7 helps to check and monitor the availability and performance of a website world wide.
All you need to do is:
- Visit Site 24X7
- Enter website’s domain name in the input box provided
- Click test now button
- And that’s it, you get the status of your website either down or up.
So, now we looked at what is meant when they say a website is down, what causes it and how to check if it is actually down foe you alone or everybody else too – worldwide.
Apart from the tools I mentioned in this article, you should know that there are still many more online tools and services you can use to monitor your websites downtime. You just need to search via Google.